Thursday, September 22, 2011

Stage 4 classes connect with each other

In May 2011, my colleague Leanne Smith and I ran a full-day workshop for teachers wishing to link their 100 hours students with another class, using connected classroom technologies. Providing students with a real audience for their learning is a huge motivator and a vital component in Quality Teaching. Blogs, video conferencing, Bridgit, email, even old-fashioned letter exchanges - linking is now easier than ever before! Teachers of Japanese from four high schools (Armidale HS, Braidwood CS, Camden Haven HS and Glen Innes HS) are linking their students in this way, with students enjoying creating online avatars and speaking in Japanese to each other via video conferences. Why not try it...?
photo credit: Florian SEROUSSI via photopin cc

2 comments:

  1. Sounds good to me. I have 7 classes of 100-hour students in years 7 and 8. I'd like to get my students making simple videos in Japanese. Can I get more info about being involved?
    Kevin Kirton
    Monaro High School (Cooma) NSW

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Kev,
    It's a great initiative - I'm glad it got your attention! I'm not sure what you mean in your comment. The classes I talked about are linking live, via video conference. They're not making videos. What would you like to do - make videos OR participate in a video conference? If it's participate in a video conference with another class, you could ask Sally Shimada to send out an email looking for a 'buddy' school. Are you on Sally's email list? Alternatively, I can contact the schools mentioned in the post, as I'm sure they'd be happy to help you out!

    ReplyDelete